TRENDING: See 11 Facts You Must Know About Acting NDDC Boss Pondei
Daniel Kemebradikumo Pondei, a Professor of Medicine from the Niger Delta University (NDU) in Bayelsa, was appointed as Acting Managing Director of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) on February 19, 2020 by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Here are 11 things to remember about the NDDC chief, who slumped during a probe by the House Committee on the Commission on Monday
1. He replaced Joi Nunieh, an Ogoni-born lawyer and activist, who is the daughter of the first Ogoni lawyer.
2. He took over the helm of affairs of NDDC on Thursday, February 20, at the Commission’s headquarters in Port Harcourt.
3. Professor Pondei obtained Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery MBBS, from the University of Lagos and later proceeded to the School of Molecular Medical Sciences, University of Nottingham for his PhD in Microbiology.
4. He attended Federal Government College, Port Harcourt and has been a lecturer since 2001. He has been described as “an experienced lecturer with a demonstrated history in working in the research industry”.
5. Pondei described himself “as skilled in epidemiology, life sciences, data analysis, programme evaluation, and lecturing,” on his Linkedin page.
6. He delivered the 36th lecture series of the Niger Delta University on April 17, 2019 with the topic, “Viruses: Ignored, Neglected, Poorly Understood with resulting devastating consequences”.
Read Also: JUST IN: Pondei ignored doctors’ advice to attend hearing – NDDC
7 Pondei has considerable academic administrative experience, having been Acting Head, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, and Acting Dean, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Niger Delta University.
8. The former chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Bayelsa chapter was chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association National Committee on Research Grants.
9. He is a member of the Board of the Bayelsa Health Insurance Scheme (BHIS) representing public interest. He has published widely and has special interest in infectious diseases.
10. Prof. Kemebradikumo Pondei, and his team on July 16, walked out on legislators investigating the alleged N40 billion irregular expenditure in the commission.
11. On July 20, He slumped on the floor of the House during the ongoing probe of the Commission by the House Committee on NDDC.