Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, on Tuesday disclosed that the Federal Government has commenced shortlisting candidates for the 500,000 jobs.
Speaking in Abuja, Mohammed said applications were being received and government had started processing them for the recruitment.
The Minister said, “The process for the recruitment has started.
“About 1.2 million people applied and they classified them into categories including agriculture support officers, teachers, technical officers and so on.’’
Mohammed also disclosed that the payment of N5,000 conditional cash transfer promised by the government would begin before the end of the month.
Recall that the All Progressives Congress, APC- led Federal Government, had promised 500,000 jobs for unemployed Nigerians during its 2015 Presidential campaign.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige had in December reiterated the government’s determination to create jobs for 500,000 Nigerians, where he added that the sum of N500bn had been voted to cover the cost.